Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Religion, Morality and Philosophy

Share |

Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 AM
I am a stable genius!

sokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debater
Send a message via Yahoo to sokpupet
Default Trump on God: 'I don't like to have to ask for forgiveness'

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...iveness-2016-1

Quote:
No, this is not from The Onion. This man is no Christian. He worships no one but himself. He is a textbook megalomaniac with malignant narcissism. I am in amazement how people would continue to support this failed social experiment.

After months of reflection, Donald Trump says he still doesn't regret his decision not to ask God for forgiveness for his sins.

In an interview on Sunday with CNN, the Republican presidential frontrunner said that he does not regret never asking God for forgiveness, partially because he says he doesn't have much to apologize for.

"I have great relationship with God. I have great relationship with the Evangelicals," Trump said in the interview before pivoting to his poll numbers among Evangelical voters.

"I like to be good. I don't like to have to ask for forgiveness. And I am good. I don't do a lot of things that are bad. I try to do nothing that is bad."
What the hell does his "relationship" with evangelicals have to do with it? He is so disgusting; but then look at the shameless behavior of Congress with regard to Brett Kavanaugh.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 AM
TRUE Conservative

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater

I don't think he was making a complaint against religion saying that he doesn't like it because to have a religion means to "as for forgiveness" (although that may be true, I don't think that's what he was saying...)

I think he was saying that he tries to be a good person because he doesn't like to ask for forgiveness. Why be bad and ask to be forgiven? Why not just be good in the first place? Then you don't have to ask to be forgiven.

Now, I don't know much about all the Christian beliefs but I believe that some of them require asking for forgiveness (just for being, I suppose). So, maybe this is a bit of a weird statement given some Christian world-views, anyway. But, I tend to think this was an indirect boast about his morality rather than a slight on religion.

As for his "relationship" with evangelicals...yeah, he was just sucking up.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:48 AM
I am a stable genius!

sokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debater

No, he is a megalomaniac and malignant narcissist. He doesn't bow to any deity. Seriously.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 AM
TRUE Conservative

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokpupet View Post
No, he is a megalomaniac and malignant narcissist. He doesn't bow to any deity. Seriously.
I'm sure that's true. I'm just saying that that's not how I interpret what he said.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:26 PM
I am a stable genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapeze Swinger View Post
I'm sure that's true. I'm just saying that that's not how I interpret what he said.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:04 AM

rcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debater

I hope Jesus Christ doesn't come back before trumP is removed from
office because trumP's supporters would only try to crucify Him again.

They already have a Messiah.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 AM
Canadians are so badass!

Blueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debater

I think evangelicals see Trump as a tool God is using to achieve their goals. It doesn't matter that he himself doesn't seem to care much about Christian principles because they think God is working through him to ... I don't know, appoint a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe? End gay marriage somehow?

I've noticed a lot of political Christians are really good at the "see no evil" thing.

I was watching an TV show about the FLDS church and was struck by the strictness of the rules regarding no outside influence. The leaders think it's better to keep the sheep in the dark about what's really going on (specifically the women) to keep their minds pure.

The Christian right is doing much the same thing with Trump. Willful ignorance. To the followers it's a glass half full view of life and to the ones in charge it's a great way to keep their flock in line.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Sliding down the mountain

Slippery Slope is a glorious beacon of lightSlippery Slope is a glorious beacon of lightSlippery Slope is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting how rightwing xians always claim that their guy was put in power by their god but not the democrat.
few at the expense of the masses."
-Major General Smedley Butler

Do not speak- unless it improves on silence. -Buddhist adage

Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 AM
I am a stable genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
I think evangelicals see Trump as a tool God is using to achieve their goals. It doesn't matter that he himself doesn't seem to care much about Christian principles because they think God is working through him to ... I don't know, appoint a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe? End gay marriage somehow?

I've noticed a lot of political Christians are really good at the "see no evil" thing.

I was watching an TV show about the FLDS church and was struck by the strictness of the rules regarding no outside influence. The leaders think it's better to keep the sheep in the dark about what's really going on (specifically the women) to keep their minds pure.

The Christian right is doing much the same thing with Trump. Willful ignorance. To the followers it's a glass half full view of life and to the ones in charge it's a great way to keep their flock in line.
Evangelicals (their leaders) will word salad anything to "lead" their church via leaders they believe will follow the party line that they are being attacked and to use autocracy to impose "their" values on the rest of the people. They want that "Christian" BOOT to remain on the throats of all Americans and beyond.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:16 AM
Canadians are so badass!

Blueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapeze Swinger View Post
I don't think he was making a complaint against religion saying that he doesn't like it because to have a religion means to "as for forgiveness" (although that may be true, I don't think that's what he was saying...)

I think he was saying that he tries to be a good person because he doesn't like to ask for forgiveness. Why be bad and ask to be forgiven? Why not just be good in the first place? Then you don't have to ask to be forgiven.

Now, I don't know much about all the Christian beliefs but I believe that some of them require asking for forgiveness (just for being, I suppose). So, maybe this is a bit of a weird statement given some Christian world-views, anyway. But, I tend to think this was an indirect boast about his morality rather than a slight on religion.

As for his "relationship" with evangelicals...yeah, he was just sucking up.
I think his opinion of himself as being "good" comes from the fact he's convinced himself that any bad acts he has committed were the fault of others or that those wronged were of lesser character than he and so they deserved it.

He also excels at finding any inconsistency in an accusation to be proof the whole thing is a lie. Actually, a lot of people do that, especially conspiracy theorists.