Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Current Events and General Discussion > Immigration

Share |

Old 11-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater
Default Migrant crisis: The walls Europe is building to keep people out

This piece in the Independent is from the end of August, and so misses Austria's contribution:

In shift, Austria to build fence along parts of border with Slovenia to control migrant flow
George Jahn, Assoc. Press, Oct. 28.
Quote:
Austria, a strong critic of fences built to cope with Europe's migrant influx, on Wednesday announced it is joining other nations that have either already erected border barriers or are planning to do so.

Austrian Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner insisted the move was aimed solely at bringing order to the unrelenting influx of people entering the country, telling parliament there were no plans "to build a fence around Austria."

Still the project is a major shift for the country, which has preached the sanctity of unimpeded internal EU borders since the migrant crisis intensified earlier this year, and Mikl-Leitner herself used the world "fence" in earlier comments announcing construction plans at the border.

It is likely to run into domestic and international criticism for the signal it sends to other nations struggling to cope with tens of thousands of desperate people moving though their nations. And it could ignite a chain reaction along the land route in Eastern Europe used by those seeking a better life in prosperous European Union countries....
Something there is that doesn't love a wall.

However, sometimes reality bumps into rosy self-ideation. Austria's Interior Minister protests, but "bringing order to the unrelenting influx of people entering the country" sounds a lot like the thought everybody else has when they build a fence or a wall to help regulate immigration.

Europe is clearly going through an epiphany. There's no way to know how this will end. Frost's poem includes the enigmatic maim, "good fences make good neighbors," but Churchill's famous "antimetabole" may be more fitting: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM
RelativisticDeawkwardizer

Tom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debater
Send a message via AIM to Tom Servo

Walls — OK for englightened Europeans keeping out war refugees, but bad for ignorant Americans keeping out drug cartels, murderers and rapists.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Hence the crickets....

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Dump Trump

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Here's a apt quote from someone who may well be our next great president:

"The enduring symbol of our nation is not the barbed wire fence, it is the Statue of Liberty."

- Governor Martin O'Malley

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 11-06-2015, 01:25 AM
RelativisticDeawkwardizer

Tom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debater
Send a message via AIM to Tom Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post

"The enduring symbol of our nation is not the barbed wire fence, it is the Statue of Liberty."

That man has about as much chance of being our next president as I do of being married to a Kardashian.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:48 PM

Gooseneck Master debaterGooseneck Master debaterGooseneck Master debaterGooseneck Master debaterGooseneck Master debaterGooseneck Master debaterGooseneck Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post

Has O'Malley ever heard of Ellis Island?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Dump Trump

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseneck View Post
Has O'Malley ever heard of Ellis Island?
I'm sure he's aware of its existence. And, unlike you, he's probably also aware that it's not been functional since 1954, and that it has never been the enduring symbol of our nation.

GLOBAL FAIL

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 01-17-2018, 07:53 AM

Pepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debaterPepe Master debater
Default Mr.Trump on the Apertures: Stark Madness and Inmiscibility

Pop Quiz: Take out a sheet of paper. This will be fifty percent of your grade: Which of the above is the Norwegian? Which from Mr. Trump’s other category? With which would you rather have your children go to school?

Mr. Trump’s comment regarding his preference for immigrants from Norway instead of “shithole countries” such as Haiti engendered among the commentariat a great squealing. I cannot fathom this. Are they geographic virgins, and just don’t know anything of the world? Is it only the usual schadenfreudian gotcha pile-on? The if-A-then-B response to stimulus of a press corps with the freedom of thought I associate with a FORTRAN statement?

Shithole countries exist. Mr. Trummp’s Haiti is one of them. Some other expression of more acceptable weaselhood might be employed: “hygienically-impaired conceivably preliterate ” or something.

If one takes “shithole” literally, Haiti is indeed excrementially challenged, I shamelessly steal this from John Derbyshire’s column on the Unz Review:

NPR: “A rainstorm on Good Friday last year filled the streets and alleys of one Port-au-Prince neighborhood with 3 feet of raw sewage.”

If unconvinced, try here.

However, Mr. trump’s term is usually figurative, meaning something like filthy, backward, pitiable, poor, unspeakable, degraded, ignorant, and so on. This is Haiti.

I once spent a week in the slums of Cite Soleil, in Port au Prince with the US Army. It was godawful. Huts of corrugated iron, “streets” of packed dirt, actually paths maybe two feet wide between them, no sewerage, no electricity. No medical care or, so I was told, education. The impression was of an occupied garbage dump.

There were no guns, so the denizens went at each other with machetes, leading to missing limbs and exposed brains. Law enforcement did not exist. Witchcraft did. Haiti is voodoo territory.

One may sympathize with the inhabitants of such a Dantean sub-basement, and I did. One may imagine ways of helping such people, and I did, knowing that they had been tried without effect. Yet there is no point in whitewashing a disaster, in pretending that Haiti is not what it is.

Con't

Old 01-17-2018, 08:00 AM
x2 - Fascinating!

djharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debater

The point isn't whether the country is desirable to live in. The point is the idea that people from Norway are more desirable immigrants than those from Latin America and Africa.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” - Brené Brown

Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 AM

CdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debater

"It's not about race! Now let me show you pictures of African tribesman next to a pretty white lady while I talk about my own anecdotal stories about visiting 'hellholes' and how the locals are the sort of people Democrats want to bring here and not the college-educated, ambitious people who Republicans insist they want here but just not from countries that are located outside Europe."

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

"But the tale of humanity will never come to a close, for the struggle of survival is a war without end, and war...war never changes." - Narrator, Fallout 3