Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Religion, Morality and Philosophy

Share |

Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM

maten149 has a reputation beyond reputematen149 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The movie "Noah" - biblically correct?

I just recently recognized that there's a biblical movie about to hit the theaters.

What are the odds of it being biblically correct?

Will it be sanctioned by the any church?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Fuck the man...

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater

I wonder if it will show all the pregnant mothers and small children dying in the flood.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by maten149 View Post
I just recently recognized that there's a biblical movie about to hit the theaters.

What an unusual standard to set for a movie. Never, ever demand or ask that a movie reflect its antecedent accurately. It is entertainment.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btthegreat View Post
What an unusual standard to set for a movie. Never, ever demand or ask that a movie reflect its antecedent accurately. It is entertainment.
Some people take the bible very seriously. The story is based on a book that is supposedly inspired by god.

I think it is a relevant question for those which hold the story as true (I don't, obviously)

I just want to see what people think who do take it seriously. Compare it to a biographical movie, which is always dissected regarding the accuracy of its depiction.

If you think I'm wrong in asking, take a look at this for example: http://beginningandend.com/russell-c...or-christians/

Last edited by maten149; 12-06-2013 at 06:04 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Back at last....

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Some people take the bible very seriously. The story is based on a book that is supposedly inspired by god.

I think it is a relevant question for those which hold the story as true (I don't, obviously)

I just want to see what people think who do take it seriously. Compare it to a biographical movie, which is always dissected regarding the accuracy of its depiction.

If you think I'm wrong in asking, take a look at this for example: http://beginningandend.com/russell-c...or-christians/
I have no trouble taking the Bible seriously and at the same time believing the story of Noah is a myth.

Here's a question: When the waters recede and Noah's family, he and his wife, his sons and their wives, safely land, who do his grandchildren marry to populate the earth as God commands? Each other? Inbreeding didn't work out so well for the kings of Europe.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. . . . It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." — Ronald Reagan.
“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Pococurante

potter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debater

Quote:

Is it "based upon actual events"

Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Pococurante

potter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debaterpotter Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapeze Swinger View Post
I wonder if it will show all the pregnant mothers and small children dying in the flood.

Puppies, thousands of drowning puppies.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater

Quote:

There is a big difference between taking the story seriously, and taking the movie seriously. Yes biographical movies are always dissected for accuracy, but they are always found wanting. Only the most naive or simple minded expect more.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btthegreat View Post
There is a big difference between taking the story seriously, and taking the movie seriously. Yes biographical movies are always dissected for accuracy, but they are always found wanting. Only the most naive or simple minded expect more.
We are after all, in the Religion-section of the forum.