Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > International Affairs

Share |

Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Beer View Post
A zombie lie. A discredited statistic that won't go away.

What is the definition of 'rape' in Sweden? When was the definition last changed?

Jesus... I expect more from you Coro.
I hope you'll turn a similar jaundiced eye toward the "rape culture" on American campuses.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Krazy Kanuck

I Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corodon View Post
I hope you'll turn a similar jaundiced eye toward the "rape culture" on American campuses.

Show me the stats.

Anyway.. for completeness.. And, for the record, I'm glad to see reality trump fear (pun totally intended)

Hopefully, you will turn a jaundiced eye towards any further reporting by that reporter.

Quote:
The legal definition of rape in Sweden is described in chapter 6 in the Swedish Penal Code.[1] Historically, rape has been defined as forced sexual intercourse initiated against a woman by one or several men, without her consent.[2] In recent years, several revisions to the definition of rape have been made in Swedish law,[3] to now not only include intercourse, but comparable sexual acts initiated against someone passive—incapable of giving consent—because they are in a vulnerable situation, such as a state of fear or unconsciousness.[4]

In 2015 Sweden opened its first emergency center designed specifically to help male victims of rape and molestation. It has been estimated that almost 1 in 4 Swedish men have experienced forms of sexual violence in their lifetimes, including unwanted contact. And 7 percent of men reported that they had been "made to penetrate" another person. That could mean vaginal or anal intercourse or receiving or giving oral sex against their will.[5]

In 2014, there were 6,700 rapes reported to the Swedish police—or 69 cases per 100,000 population—according to the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention (BRÅ ), which is an 11 percent increase from the previous year.[6] The number of convictions has remained relatively unchanged since 2005, with approximately 190 convictions on average each year.[7][8] The BRÅ has not released detailed data on rape committed by immigrants since 1996, but according to that report individuals with an immigrant background made up 61% of all rape convictions between 1985 and 1989.[9]

There have been several international comparisons made, placing Sweden at the top end of the number of reported rapes. However, police procedures and legal definitions vary widely across countries, which makes it difficult to compare rape statistics.[10][11][12][13] For example, Sweden reformed its sex crime legislation and made the legal definition of rape much wider in 2005,[3][4][10][14] which largely explains a significant increase in the number of reported rapes in the ten-year period of 2004-2013.[15][16] The Swedish police also record each instance of sexual violence in every case separately, leading to an inflated number of cases compared to other countries.[10][13][17] Additionally, the Swedish police have improved the handling of rape cases, in an effort to increase the number of crimes reported.[10][16][18][19]

Raised awareness and a shifting attitude of sexual crimes in Sweden,[note 1][20] which has been ranked as the number one country in gender equality,[21] may also explain the relatively high rates of reported rape.[10][13][22]
Ah.. it's where Princess Jasmine lives in Disney's Alladin. You should probably bomb it three times.

"It's been an honour to serve in an institution I despise so vehemently."
- John Boehner

Last edited by I Like Beer; 12-18-2015 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Krazy Kanuck

I Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debater

Quote:
Could it be that you confuse 'sexual assault' and 'forcible rape'? I can see that if you're relying on your information from the same people who talk about rape in Sweden.

20% for sexual assault which includes coercion, attempted rape, violence at the hands of a partner, and, I believe stalking.
Ah.. it's where Princess Jasmine lives in Disney's Alladin. You should probably bomb it three times.

- John Boehner

Old 12-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Dump Trump

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I call it Alabamastan. Or Talibama.

I am keeping up. I'm pointing out your desire to shit on the US at every opportunity, anything to deflect from the peaceful loving religion of Islam.

As to who attacks Americans because of their sexual orientation? Other Americans. I have enough experience here to know it's not always about religion. In fact, most of the time it's just plain old fashioned bigotry.
No, I don't call keeping up drawing unsupported negative conclusions about other posters, as in " I'm pointing out your desire to shit on the US at every opportunity, anything to deflect from the peaceful loving religion of Islam."

As for your experience with bigotry, it appears to be based on your bigotry towards Muslims...

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 12-18-2015, 05:35 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Short answer: No.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Krazy Kanuck

Quote:
Short answer: No.
I'm not that familiar with it.

I do note the glee that posters of a certain political bent take whenever an accusation of rape turns out to be false. I'm all for prosecuting those that make false accusations, but I don't understand the glee that certain people have when they turn out to be false.

I read one story about the rate of sexual assault on campuses nearing the 20% mark which includes not only 'forced rape' as outlined in the FBI's UCR but 'lesser' crimes like the ones I outlined above.

For example, at Penn State in 2012 there were 56 rape accusations from students (it led the nation) with an enrollment of over 45000 persons. Hardly near the 20% that you outlined. If you have different data, I ask to see it.

The only reason it was that high was because a lot of people came forward after Sandusky was arrested.

Quote:
Penn State University tallied the nation’s highest number of reports of forcible sex offenses on campus in 2012 — 56 — a total that university officials attribute in part to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal.

The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor recorded the second-highest total, 34, followed by Harvard University (31), Indiana University-Bloomington (27), Stanford University (26) and Emory University (26), according to a Washington Post analysis of federal campus crime data.

- John Boehner

Last edited by I Like Beer; 12-18-2015 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Dump Trump

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

It bears notice that of over 1500 colleges with more than 1,000 students were tallied, the worst offenders, those with more than 1 sexual assault offense per 1,000 students, were privately owned. And the worst offenders, with 3 or more offenses per 1,000 students, were all privately owned.

Also interesting is that perhaps the nation's most liberal college campus, with a reputation for disorder and disrespect, logged one of the lowest scores, only .36 offenses per 1,000 students.

How now, brown cow?

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 AM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post

So, your comment is that since violence has been committed against LGBT in the US it's okay that it happens elsewhere?

Tu quoque Fallacy?

"Since when did Democrats become so judgmental and intolerant?" C. Paglia

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Old 12-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Krazy Kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
It bears notice that of over 1500 colleges with more than 1,000 students were tallied, the worst offenders, those with more than 1 sexual assault offense per 1,000 students, were privately owned. And the worst offenders, with 3 or more offenses per 1,000 students, were all privately owned.

Also interesting is that perhaps the nation's most liberal college campus, with a reputation for disorder and disrespect, logged one of the lowest scores, only .36 offenses per 1,000 students.

How now, brown cow?
I would caution against drawing such a conclusion. This is reported rape which, one could argue, is better at private colleges.

I'll leave this from your link.

Quote:
Experts caution that a campus with a low reporting rate is not necessarily safer than one with a high rate. Some colleges make more effort than others to ensure victims step forward. Enrollment totals include online students, which for some schools lowers the reporting rate for campus incidents. For example, more than 80 percent of Liberty University students are online.

- John Boehner

Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
He's not talking about violence in the US, he's talking about anti-gay violence in Sweden, perpetrated by Muslims. Try to keep up.

Frankly, I'll take Christian right wing bigotry over being murdered by Muslims any day.
And I, as a gay man, would rather live in a Predominantly Muslim neighborhood in Deerborne, to living among a bunch of hateful bigots in rural Wyoming. Matthew Shepard used to be alive before he was beaten into a vegetative state by two rednecks.

Last edited by btthegreat; 12-19-2015 at 08:30 AM..