Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > International Affairs

Share |

Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 PM
RelativisticDeawkwardizer

Tom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debater
Send a message via AIM to Tom Servo
Arrow China blasts the US over 'serious military provocation' in Taiwan

China blasts the US over 'serious military provocation' in Taiwan

The Independent | Massoud Hayoun | 5 hrs ago
China has lambasted the United States over what Beijing has called the US military’s assault on “China’s sovereignty” in Taiwan and the disputed South China Sea.

The US military action comes amid overtures by Beijing to bolster unification efforts with Taiwan that Washington has pledged to support. Beijing has also sought in recent months to normalise relations with Southeast Asian nations that have weakened by conflicting claims over the strategically and economically important water space that Beijing calls the South China Sea.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told US Secretary of State John Kerry that Washington must respect Beijing’s “core interests and major concerns,” semi-official newspaper China Daily reported Tuesday.

Mr Wang called recent US military flights over the South China Sea a "serious military provocation," China Daily added.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2015, 05:45 PM
RelativisticDeawkwardizer

Tom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debater
Send a message via AIM to Tom Servo

I don't really have a coherent opinion on Taiwan one way or the other, but when it comes to the disputed territories of the South China Sea, I am firmly with the US viewpoint and against China on this. The Spratly Islands have historically been divided up between neighbor nations like Vietnam and The Philippines, but China's move into the region — including building an artificial island to claim as their own — is a clear violation of the sovereignty of the other nations. Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also claim some part of this chain of reefs and outcroppings.

The fact that they get all pissy when we fly a jet over the islands shows their hand here. They are looking to take it all by force, if necessary. They've already intimidated the non-Chinese fishing boats to stay away from these fertile waters and they will eventually explore and drill for oil here.

This is going to be Obama's next big foreign policy failure.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:47 PM

william the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I don't really have a coherent opinion on Taiwan one way or the other, but when it comes to the disputed territories of the South China Sea, I am firmly with the US viewpoint and against China on this. The Spratly Islands have historically been divided up between neighbor nations like Vietnam and The Philippines, but China's move into the region — including building an artificial island to claim as their own — is a clear violation of the sovereignty of the other nations. Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also claim some part of this chain of reefs and outcroppings.

The fact that they get all pissy when we fly a jet over the islands shows their hand here. They are looking to take it all by force, if necessary. They've already intimidated the non-Chinese fishing boats to stay away from these fertile waters and they will eventually explore and drill for oil here.

I doubt the current Chicom dynasty will last that long.

Hillary the Hen Hitler

Johnson/Weld

goflyakite558.wordpress.com

Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Krazy Kanuck

I Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debaterI Like Beer Master debater

Man, this may lead to Eurozone Meltdown!
Ah.. it's where Princess Jasmine lives in Disney's Alladin. You should probably bomb it three times.

"It's been an honour to serve in an institution I despise so vehemently."
- John Boehner

Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Beer View Post
Man, this may lead to Eurozone Meltdown!
Do they have any banks left to fail?

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 01-03-2016, 05:32 AM
Salacious and Unverified

bdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debaterbdubya Master debater

Quote:
What would a more capable chief executive do to fix the problem? Talk really tough? Bomb somebody?

-unidentified friend of mine

Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 AM
God of small things

Shiva Master debaterShiva Master debaterShiva Master debaterShiva Master debaterShiva Master debaterShiva Master debaterShiva Master debater

Quote:

Foreign policy failure? I mean , sure we could have started a war to stop it, but I would see that as a far bigger failure.

We've rejected Chinese claims and we're working with countries in the region to defend them against Chinese encroachment. Chinese actions are leading SE Asian countries running to us for protection, so they want to start building stronger ties, including defense ties, with us to counter China. And that's all part of the re-balance to Asia.

Now, you know what would be very helpful to oppose Chinese claims? If the United States ratified the Law of the Sea Treaty. Because that enshrines the freedom of navigation principle that we've been stressing by sending ships and aircraft by China's illegal claims.

The Philippines is opposing Chinese claims via the tribunal set up under the Law of the Sea. But we aren't at the table for that tribunal, because the crazy republicans in congress believe in crazy conspiracy theories about the law of the sea establishing UN taxes and other nonsense.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Left of Lenin

Levski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debaterLevski Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
Do they have any banks left to fail?
The ones who bailed out the third set of banks to be bailed out after a set of governments used the second set of banks to bail them out... all after the first set of banks lost all the savings and securities of the citizens across Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
You are mistaking me for someone who cares what your opinions are.

Tags
china, kerry, spratly islands, taiwan, wang yi