Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Political Editorials and Op-Eds.

Share |

Old 07-11-2018, 07:31 AM
TRUE Conservative

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater
Default Racism in the US today...

http://www.facebook.com/m.i.a.paperp...09901335697359

I fear that this will be another thread that I'll have to update with new videos from time to time...

From people calling the police because someone is BBQing while black, selling lemonade while black, or wearing a shirt that has the flag of a US territory...these people continue to come out of the woodwork.

The cops, as evidenced by the above video, continue to be part of the problem, or a tool that the racists use to try to punish minorities.

What could cause all of this? What has fundamentally changed in the US? What has caused this slide into racism or has at the very least, emboldened the racists of this country?

Oh, wait...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater

For this to have happened on a broad scale, you'd need some sort of national catalyst, either an event or a public figure to bring racism into favorable view and sufficient positive media coverage through one or more national outlets for it to flourish....

What are you suggesting might have provided the stimulus for these deplorable people to find their courage ?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM

rcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debater

I'm not a Pollyanna. I'm not overly optimistic.
I don't expect human nature or the American ethos
to change suddenly or for the good overnight, if ever.

That is why the return of the white nationalist and/or
neo-fascist movement in America and in parts of Europe
doesn't really surprise me. I've been following and predicting
it since Reagan/Thatcher, and although I am saddened by it,
I'm am not surprised. And yes, one group identified with one
political party in America is largely responsible for fanning the
smoldering embers, keeping racism and bigotry and intolerance
alive at all times, then throwing gas on the fire once it restarts
and then fuel on the blaze once it is again roaring. That party,
as we all know, is the GOP, and their latest arsonist pretending
to play fireman is the monster Donald trumP. Like some mutant
mixture of Nero, P.T. Barnum and George Wallace, he is a dream
come true for white nationalists everywhere and Putin in particular.
Let us hope we can survive him, and maybe someday, thrive again.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcclydeinside View Post
I'm not a Pollyanna. I'm not overly optimistic.
I don't expect human nature or the American ethos
to change suddenly or for the good overnight, if ever.

That is why the return of the white nationalist and/or
neo-fascist movement in America and in parts of Europe
doesn't really surprise me. I've been following and predicting
it since Reagan/Thatcher, and although I am saddened by it,
I'm am not surprised. And yes, one group identified with one
political party in America is largely responsible for fanning the
smoldering embers, keeping racism and bigotry and intolerance
alive at all times, then throwing gas on the fire once it restarts
and then fuel on the blaze once it is again roaring. That party,
as we all know, is the GOP, and their latest arsonist pretending
to play fireman is the monster Donald trumP. Like some mutant
mixture of Nero, P.T. Barnum and George Wallace, he is a dream
come true for white nationalists everywhere and Putin in particular.
Let us hope we can survive him, and maybe someday, thrive again.
Populism inevitably surges after a serious recession/depression and demagogues or 'anti-establishment' candidates like to take advantage. The only common denominator is a penchant for running against a prevailing institution, whether they are government, business or religious institutions. Normally we tend to figure out when they are getting too big for their britches, and they loose their lustre, but this guy has gotten further than most thanks to the spinelessness of the GOP. the question is how much damage will he do before we can begin to repair any of it?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 PM

rcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debaterrcclydeinside Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by btthegreat View Post
Populism inevitably surges after a serious recession/depression and demagogues or 'anti-establishment' candidates like to take advantage. The only common denominator is a penchant for running against a prevailing institution, whether they are government, business or religious institutions. Normally we tend to figure out when they are getting too big for their britches, and they loose their lustre, but this guy has gotten further than most thanks to the spinelessness of the GOP. the question is how much damage will he do before we can begin to repair any of it?
I'm not sure we can even ask that question before we answer this one:

Will we ever have the chance to repair or rebuild those institutions?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:08 AM
TRUE Conservative

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater

Woman Arrested in Beating of Man, 92. ‘Go Back to Mexico,’ She Reportedly Said

A woman was arrested late Tuesday in the beating of a 92-year-old man in Los Angeles County in which the attacker reportedly told the man to “go back to Mexico.”

The beating left him bloodied, bruised and bewildered about why he was attacked.

The woman, Laquisha Jones, 30, of Los Angeles, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and was held on $200,000 bail.

A witness, Misbel Borjas, told CNN and other news organizations that the attacker used a brick in the beating of the man, who was identified by the authorities as Rodolfo Rodriguez. Several men soon joined in the attack.

The beating occurred around 7:30 p.m. on July 4 in an area of unincorporated Los Angeles County, a statement from the sheriff’s department said. It’s known as Willowbrook and is about 15 miles south of downtown Los Angeles. Mr. Rodriguez, who was visiting the area, was hospitalized for several hours, and is now recovering with family, the statement said.

On July 5, Ms. Borjas posted a video on Facebook in which Mr. Rodriguez can be seen sitting on the ground next to a red-stained sidewalk, the right side of his face spilling blood. He later gave interviews on television as he lay in bed, his face still covered in cuts and bruises.

“I can’t walk anymore,” Mr. Rodriguez, who was visiting family in the area, told CNN in Spanish. “I’m in so much pain.”

The police did not immediately determine a motive, and said Tuesday that they are still searching for the other men. But according to CNN, Ms. Borjas said she heard the attacker saying: “Go back to your country. Go back to Mexico.” She gave similar accounts to The Los Angeles Times and other news organizations, but did not respond to follow-up interview requests.

Mr. Rodriguez said to CNN that the woman told a group of men nearby — the men who came over and began kicking him on the ground — that he had tried to take away her daughter.

“But that’s not true,” he said, according to CNN, adding that he had not bumped into a child. “In the years I have been alive, I have never offended anyone.”

Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 PM
I am a stable genius!

sokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debater
Send a message via Yahoo to sokpupet
Default Every moment in Trump’s charged relationship with race

This is journalism. This is a "Reality Show" POTUS. This is a racist. This is a bigot. This is a homophobe. ...and more; but save for another thread as is necessary.

President Donald Trump’s long history with race is complicated.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 PM
I am a stable genius!

sokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debatersokpupet Master debater
Default Let's drop the euphemisms: Donald Trump is a racist president

Trump is a racist. To deny it is to deny reality.

But just in case anyone had any doubts, Trump took his explicit nativism several steps into more sinister territory on Friday while standing next to the British prime minister. When asked about his “fabric of Europe” comments, Trump began by talking about terrorism, before explaining his thinking.

“I just think it’s changing the culture. I think it’s a very negative thing for Europe. I think it’s very negative,” he said, as if we didn’t hear him the first time with the foghorn. “And I know it’s politically not necessarily correct to say that. But I’ll say it and I’ll say it loud. And I think they better watch themselves because you are changing the culture.”

"The grandson of a German immigrant, Trump has married not one but two immigrants. He knows full well how hard it is to be an immigrant: his family was so ashamed of its German roots through two world wars that Trump continued to pretend he had Swedish roots at the time he put his name to The Art of the Deal.

As any TV psychologist might observe, it was a continental-sized giveaway when Trump lied about his immigrant roots to the press after trashing Nato on Thursday. “I have great respect for Germany,” he said, after attacking the German government for months. “My father is from Germany.”

Fred Trump, father to Donald, was born in the Bronx."

Did I mention Trump has a problem with the truth. Lies are so easy for him as he lies fluently.

DONALD TRUMP CALLS HIS OWN SUN INTERVIEW FAKE NEWS

Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM
I am a stable genius!

One demonstrable lie Donald Trump tells in The Art of the Deal is that his immigrant grandfather “came here from Sweden as a child.”

In truth, Frederich Trump arrived at Ellis Island from Germany, to be precise the small town of Kallstadt.

"Pocahontas" He has no idea of the hypocrisy.