Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Military

Share |

Old 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Sophie'sticated

Dasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debaterDasher Master debater
Default WW II bars women from burial at Arlington Nat. Cemeteryy

McLEAN, Va. — A rule change is keeping a group of female pilots who flew noncombat missions during World War II from having their ashes laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery.

The women, known as WASPs, served in a special unit called Women Airforce Service Pilots. They flew noncombat missions during the war, to free up male pilots for combat.

During the war, the women were considered civilians. But since 1977, federal law has granted them status as veterans. Since 2002, they have been eligible to have their ashes placed at Arlington.

But in March, the Secretary of the Army ruled that WASPs never should have been allowed in and revoked their eligibility.

The family of a Maryland WASP who died in April is pushing to have the eligibility restored.

http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans...etery-1.386734

Denied from burial, when women were war personnel, what is next?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Occupy Mar-A-Lago

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

I guess having one's remains interred at Arlington is an honor. I have an uncle there, I'm told, although nobody seems to know exactly why, except that he was something of a wheeler-dealer. But the rest of my family doesn't seem to care where they wind up, most would choose cremation and having their ashes scattered at sea. Me, I'd like my ashes to be put into a compost pile and used to fertilize some garden.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem