Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Health, Science, Education, and Gender Issues

Share |

Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 AM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater
Default Study: Earth Has A ‘Natural Thermostat’ To Regulate Climate During Extreme Temperatu

An interesting read. While I have never denied global warming, I have long believed that the Earth pretty well took care of itself and that periods of warming and cooling, often in geological terms, long and extreme periods, were natural events little impacted by humans. This study would appear to bolster my belief that the Earth pretty much takes care of herself and man has little impact on her natural cycles..

Quote:
PARIS — The possibility of controlling the Earth’s temperature has long led to various experiments by inquisitive scientists, but without great results. Now a recent study found proof for the first time ever of a natural thermostat that helps regulate the planet during extreme temperature swings.
https://www.studyfinds.org/earth-nat...ostat-climate/

"Since when did Democrats become so judgmental and intolerant?" C. Paglia

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 AM
x2 - Fascinating!

djharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debater

That's not news. Carbonate/CO2 buffering system is not new.
What is new is that system is being overwhelmed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” - Brené Brown

Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater
Default Bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
An interesting read. While I have never denied global warming, I have long believed that the Earth pretty well took care of itself and that periods of warming and cooling, often in geological terms, long and extreme periods, were natural events little impacted by humans. This study would appear to bolster my belief that the Earth pretty much takes care of herself and man has little impact on her natural cycles..

https://www.studyfinds.org/earth-nat...ostat-climate/
" Now a recent study found proof for the first time ever of a natural thermostat that helps regulate the planet during extreme temperature swings."

Bullshit!

From the ORIGINAL SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE:

"Such a weathering thermostat has frequently been postulated as a climate regulating process, but has proven remarkably difficult to unambiguously demonstrate in the geological record."

Why the discrepancy? Well, it might have something to do with the author of the article you quoted, having the following non-science qualifications:

"Craig is a freelance writer who enjoys researching everything on the earth’s surface and beyond. In his free time, Craig enjoys binge watching Netflix series and spending time with his friends."

Yeah. Right.

I'm calling BULLSHIT on this article. Not upset or apoplectic about it, just kind of weary of this crap.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 01-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djharkavy View Post
That's not news. Carbonate/CO2 buffering system is not new.
What is new is that system is being overwhelmed.

So this study's findings are irrelevant?

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Indeed. Might have wanted to include the sentence immediately before the one you C&P's here:

Quote:
Overall, therefore, this study shows that if a tectonic-driven climate control (degassing) can push the climate system out of balance, a temperature-dependent feedback via silicate weathering will eventually stabilise the climate.
In other words, THIS study's results were successful in unambiguously demonstrating the climate weathering process from the geological record.

Too, Craig, the author of the OP, had nothing to do with the study itself, how the research was conducted or the results thereof - Craig just reported the info. The researchers an authors of the study are:

P.A.E. Pogge von Strandmann1, A. Desrochers2, M.J. Murphy3, A.J. Finlay4,5, D. Selby6, T.M. Lenton7

Have any info to discredit any of these folks?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
By "this study" do you mean the original scientific (presumably) paper, or the article you quoted?

If the former, it's relevant if it's been peer-reviewed. And if it has, I'd like to see some of those reviews.

As DJ points out, the effects of weathering on rocks is nothing new. The article does nothing to prove or disprove the effect of human generated CO2 increases upon global temperatures, especially since geologic processes are generally measured in thousands to millions of years, whereas human generated increases in atmospheric CO2 levels is measured in decades to a few centuries.

The implication being that if weathering can counteract the effect of man-made CO2 increases, but it takes a few thousand years to happen, what do we do in the meantime?

Also there is the caveat that just because some warming/cooling occurred from geologic processes, it doesn't necessarily mean that is repeatable.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 01-02-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
By "this study" do you mean the original scientific (presumably) paper, or the article you quoted?

If the former, it's relevant if it's been peer-reviewed. And if it has, I'd like to see some of those reviews.

As DJ points out, the effects of weathering on rocks is nothing new. The article does nothing to prove or disprove the effect of human generated CO2 increases upon global temperatures, especially since geologic processes are generally measured in thousands to millions of years, whereas human generated increases in atmospheric CO2 levels is measured in decades to a few centuries.

The implication being that if weathering can counteract the effect of man-made CO2 increases, but it takes a few thousand years to happen, what do we do in the meantime?

Also there is the caveat that just because some warming/cooling occurred from geologic processes, it doesn't necessarily mean that is repeatable.
As I just said, Craig is not a researcher or author on the study. He is simply a reporter with a story about the research findings.

I'll let dj answer for himself, if he'd like to do so.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Stable Genius

Quote:
Indeed. Might have wanted to include the sentence immediately before the one you C&P's here:

In other words, THIS study's results were successful in unambiguously demonstrating the climate weathering process from the geological record.

Too, Craig, the author of the OP, had nothing to do with the study itself, how the research was conducted or the results thereof - Craig just reported the info. The researchers an authors of the study are:

P.A.E. Pogge von Strandmann1, A. Desrochers2, M.J. Murphy3, A.J. Finlay4,5, D. Selby6, T.M. Lenton7

Have any info to discredit any of these folks?
"Overall, therefore, this study shows that IF a tectonic-driven climate control (degassing) can push the climate system out of balance, a temperature-dependent feedback via silicate weathering will eventually stabilise the climate. "

Note not only the big IF (my emphasis), but also the vagueness of the term "eventually", as well as the complete lack of mention of whether or not they have shown that weathering can reverse the effects of man-made CO2 increases, let alone in a timely fashion to save millions of lives that may be affected by rising sea levels and other ill effects of global warming.

Rather than try to discredit the authors, I'm asking you to back up their paper with peer review commentary. If you don't have any, then the paper is far less authoritative than you or your binge-watching author seem to think.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Stable Genius

Also the web site "studyfindings.org" probably needs to be evaluated for systemic bias if not an anti-science pro-pseudo science tilt.

I perused some of their other articles/headers and they seem to warrant taking their articles about scientific matters with a few kgs of salt.

But I'm happy for you that you were able to find yet another article to try to troll the forum with.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 AM
x2 - Fascinating!

djharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debater

Quote:
The study's finding apparently confirms what is already known. It's not negating global warming, but instead explaining why it hasn't yet gone out of control.

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” - Brené Brown