Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Current Events and General Discussion

Share |

Old 08-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater
Default What do we Dems do, once we win the House?

There is no question in my mind that we will take the house with about a 10-15 vote margin and most of those gains will be in purple or red hued states, and I suspect the Senate will stay in republican hands with even a vote or two to spare of republican votes to spare. The real question is what do we do with the House besides stop Republican initiatives?

The first question is whether Pelosi gets the gavel back and it is to be a very complicated question indeed. Several of the moderate or red hued Dems may have to commit not to vote for Pelosi , when in fact that she is the absolute best option to kill future impeachment hearings. Pelosi was adamant against impeachment hearings on Bush and she is against impeachment hearings of Trump. Meanwhile the progressives will demand Pelosi support such hearings to win their votes because that is what they will have promised the base.

Pelosi will try to walk a fine line re-openning the investigations into Russian hacking and meddling and possible Trump connections but discourage any talk that those hearings should lead to articles of impeachment ( exactly what I support myself by the way) while she plots to pack the Judiciary commitment with Dems who are likewise skeptical of impeachment.

I think there will also be an 'anybody but Pelosi' movement based on the idea that Republicans have turned her into such toxic presence that she is dead weight. There is another complication. An awful lot of the winning candidates in these primaries have been WOMEN, who are sensitive to this notion that there is much harsher standard applied to Democratic women politicians in national media than men and Hillary Clinton is exhibit A of gender bias that Dems were too silent about. They and the Womens political action groups will be watching very carefully to see how Pelosi is treated. It would be a very rare act to push the very woman out of speakership that largely maneuvered the party into a position to best take back the reins. Normally the party rewards the leadership team that saw those gains, not ditch them to the curb.

Personally, I don't know that there is anyone better capable of sheparding the kind of legislation most likely to force difficult choices on to the GOP and Trump while avoiding the cocky misteps of newfound power. Nancy well remembers the Henry Hyde impeachment debacle that lost the GOP its majority. That woman is not stupid, she understands the legislative process and she can count votes. I am not sure she can survive this pincher movement.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Litterbox Czarina

Pookie is a glorious beacon of lightPookie is a glorious beacon of lightPookie is a glorious beacon of lightPookie is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Pookie

Well if the Dems do get the house, they must do what they will. That's what happens.

We will see what happens.

Purrs,
Pookie

Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 AM
Canadians are so badass!

Blueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debater

Draft bills to lower the age of eligibility for Medicare and expand access to Medicaid.

Vote to pass these bills at least a hundred times.

If we get control back in 2020, pass them for real.

And repeal the Trump tax cuts.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM

william the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debater

Plan your work and work your plan. I'm loving it.

Hillary the Hen Hitler

Johnson/Weld

goflyakite558.wordpress.com

Old 08-10-2018, 06:32 PM

CdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debater

I'd agree that the smartest thing the DNC leadership could do once winning back the House is announce ahead of time that they will be acting in concert with Mueller's investigation, rather than trying to get ahead of with talk of impeachment. Revive the House investigations, subpoena as many witnesses and documents as possible, and leverage the powers of the relevant committees to get hold of evidence that the GOP has been trying to bury. And when Mueller's investigation has concluded, if he should recommend charges, then act upon them in whatever way falls within the purview of the House. We should not cross the impeachment bridge until it rests upon a solid foundation, unlike the "Great Penis Hunt" of the 90s that came down to proving a perjury charge.

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

"But the tale of humanity will never come to a close, for the struggle of survival is a war without end, and war...war never changes." - Narrator, Fallout 3

Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Moderation-in-All-things

btthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debaterbtthegreat Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdrMike View Post
I'd agree that the smartest thing the DNC leadership could do once winning back the House is announce ahead of time that they will be acting in concert with Mueller's investigation, rather than trying to get ahead of with talk of impeachment. Revive the House investigations, subpoena as many witnesses and documents as possible, and leverage the powers of the relevant committees to get hold of evidence that the GOP has been trying to bury. And when Mueller's investigation has concluded, if he should recommend charges, then act upon them in whatever way falls within the purview of the House. We should not cross the impeachment bridge until it rests upon a solid foundation, unlike the "Great Penis Hunt" of the 90s that came down to proving a perjury charge.
I agree. The purpose of the Mueller probe is to look for wrongdoing and prosecute it. That is entirely separate from impeachment and removal of Trump. We conflate them too much, then get pissed when Pubs accuse the probe of being a get-Trump investigation. The House investigations are primarily to discover what legislative action may be required to ensure that this mess does not happen again and to provide a documented record of what happened. Clearly the GOP run shop was not interested in doing either job, so we need to.

Articles of Impeachment may be based on legal matters ( high crimes the Mueller probe finds) or it may be based on issues of moral turpitude or malfeasance or incompetence ( high misdemeanors ) ut I absolutely agree we have to have very solid ground before we get there.

Question Mike, what is your opinion on Pelosi? How do you see her performance as Speaker/ minority leader, and do you think she has a valuable role to play or should she be sacked?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 PM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

I tend to agree; impeachment is a waste of time unless it's clear in advance that a majority in the Senate will vote to convict. And if that is the case, give the President the option of resigning first.

I'm fully supportive of the House doing a 180 and start investigating the activities of the Trump administration, though. Guess who will be in charge of the House finance committee? Maxine Waters. LOL. I'd love to see her start grilling Trump's finance people. I'd also love to see the committee subpoena Trump's tax returns and other financial records. Perhaps the truth about how much in debt he is to the Putin gang will finally come out and explain a lot.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 08-11-2018, 06:13 AM

CdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debaterCdrMike Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by btthegreat View Post
I agree. The purpose of the Mueller probe is to look for wrongdoing and prosecute it. That is entirely separate from impeachment and removal of Trump. We conflate them too much, then get pissed when Pubs accuse the probe of being a get-Trump investigation. The House investigations are primarily to discover what legislative action may be required to ensure that this mess does not happen again and to provide a documented record of what happened. Clearly the GOP run shop was not interested in doing either job, so we need to.

Articles of Impeachment may be based on legal matters ( high crimes the Mueller probe finds) or it may be based on issues of moral turpitude or malfeasance or incompetence ( high misdemeanors ) ut I absolutely agree we have to have very solid ground before we get there.

Question Mike, what is your opinion on Pelosi? How do you see her performance as Speaker/ minority leader, and do you think she has a valuable role to play or should she be sacked?
My personal opinion? She has been one of the most effective leaders that the DNC has had in recent memory, if only in comparison to her Republican counterparts. I don't believe that the passage of the Affordable Care Act would have been possible without her twisting arms and breaking knees to make it happen. And she's kept that same level of order when House Dems ended up as the minority party, to the point of keeping them a solid "No" block during vital votes.

If she should choose to run for the Speakership again, then that should be her choice and the choice of the DNC to either elect her or reject her in favor of another. She should not be forced to step aside for asinine reasons like "Conservatives are demonizing her" or "She needs to step aside for someone 'younger.'" The latter in particular seems rather hilarious in light of the failure of Paul "Policy Wonk" Ryan to lead jack or shit.

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

"But the tale of humanity will never come to a close, for the struggle of survival is a war without end, and war...war never changes." - Narrator, Fallout 3