Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Current Events and General Discussion

Share |

Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Or to vote from the rooftops...
Who are your targets?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-06-2018, 06:03 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokpupet View Post
I think we are paying too much attention to the gangrene foot vs the injury and how to prevent it from further harming others with the same. We need jobs. We need life sustaining jobs, not a bunch of hinkey part time jobs 25 miles one way. We need education. We need community leaders. We need to decriminalize marijuana. We need to quit standing on the sidelines pointing fingers. Other big cities have brought down crime.
Obama has had tremendous success reviving the economy, especially after leaving office [], and most particularly in reducing unemployment among African Americans to record low levels. By any measure these are good things, and there is a remarkable number of manufacturing jobs in the mix—not just distant part-time or hamburger-flipper jobs. Wages are starting to pick up, and all signs point to continued good news.*

I'm of the opinion that a robust economy will solve a lot of problems. I agree with you on that. A robust economy also allows attention to be paid to lifestyle gaps. And I don't care who gets the credit; let historians sort that out. (Voters will have a say, too.)

I don't agree about marijuana, and I don't think the compassionate gestures you list will do anything at all, unless it's accompanied by a determined effort to enforce the law and prevent crime.

It CAN be turned around. Witness NYC, which turned the murder rate around from a high of around 2,400 a year to 3 or 4 hundred a year. That is amazing. That means, in effect, that a couple of thousand people, mostly minorities, are NOT getting murdered every year in NYC.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM

william the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debaterwilliam the wierd Master debater

What's going on in IL? For the nation as a whole we are experiencing the greatest surplus of job openings v. job seekers in the nation's peacetime history. In IL out migration to neighboring states in order to get skilled labor wages for low or no skill jobs so why is IL such an outlier?

Hillary the Hen Hitler

Johnson/Weld

goflyakite558.wordpress.com

Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by william the wierd View Post
What's going on in IL? For the nation as a whole we are experiencing the greatest surplus of job openings v. job seekers in the nation's peacetime history. In IL out migration to neighboring states in order to get skilled labor wages for low or no skill jobs so why is IL such an outlier?
I don't know those Chicago neighborhoods, but based on personal experience, I'll hazard a guess that those neighborhoods are the left behinds, that most people who can have left. That there is so high a component of seriously dysfunctional people there that imitating a normal society is almost impossible. The kids are unemployable: they have no skills, like counting change, making eye contact, or shaking hands (old school); they have no necessary habits like punctuality and dependability.

Here's my hope, and it's inspired by NYC's experience with reduced crime. First of all, it should be noted that the original push-back against ballooning crime was well before Giuliani, when Koch (I think) jacked up the police department to 30,000. I don't remember what it was before, but the increase was massive (and controversial).

But what happened after that force got ahead of the crime wave was unexpected. They had officers who could dig into cold cases.

All of a sudden criminals were no longer off the hook after a year or so. Unsurprisingly most of these were career criminals, so nailing them took a lot more crime off the streets.

And then something else happened: the neighborhoods started policing themselves. Crime was reduced to the point that neighbors knew who the bad apples were, and they cooperated with the police to root them out.

So it became the case that if you are a criminal you will be caught and removed.

Now, all bets are off with DeBlasio. I think he's coasting on that good work, and soon enough the slide back will show up with bells on.

Meanwhile I'm likewise hopeful that if Chicago will support their police and beef up the force, etc., that they will generate the same cascading sequence of happy developments NYC had.

Then the things Sokpupet tossed out there will pay off.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:13 PM
x2 - Fascinating!

djharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by william the wierd View Post
https://apnews.com/c690a898eea347468...ium=APBusiness

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” - Brené Brown

Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Gummy Satans!

Seraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corodon View Post
Who are your targets?
Almost assuredly the opposite of yours...
There is no such thing as a bad conservative. "Conservative" is a magic word that applies to those who are in other conservatives' good graces. Until they aren't. At which point they are liberals. Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed by weak-minded souls who refuse to properly follow its tenets. It's a lot like communism that way.

~ Digby