Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Health, Science, Education, and Gender Issues

Share |

Old 04-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater
Default Student, 17, gets full ride to all 20 top colleges where he applied

I couldn't help but laugh and cry with this young man! What an accomplishment! And he's from my back yard - Houston - no less. He's quite the achiever! Here's hoping his future is equally bright. I'm betting it is! (Be sure and watch the video! It's great!)
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/04...e-applied.html

"Since when did Democrats become so judgmental and intolerant?" C. Paglia

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 AM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

A few years ago on Long Island an applicant was rewarded similarly. That student was a violist, among other accomplishments, as I recall.

He was also studious, black and very smart. He was born in Africa, though, unlike this Houston kid (I infer); to me that makes this young man's success a little sweeter.

I can't believe he applied to twenty colleges, though. (When I was in the process, the norm was to apply to four.) If hordes of kids are applying to scores of schools, it certainly will make the "selectivity" of the school rise artificially.

Seems to me an applicant could easily narrow down the pool a good deal.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 AM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corodon View Post

A few years ago on Long Island an applicant was rewarded similarly. That student was a violist, among other accomplishments, as I recall.

He was also studious, black and very smart. He was born in Africa, though, unlike this Houston kid (I infer); to me that makes this young man's success a little sweeter.

I can't believe he applied to twenty colleges, though. (When I was in the process, the norm was to apply to four.) If hordes of kids are applying to scores of schools, it certainly will make the "selectivity" of the school rise artificially.

Seems to me an applicant could easily narrow down the pool a good deal.

I think I applied to 4 as well. Of course, neither my grades nor my course choices were comparable to this kid's! WOW!!! From the video/story I gather that Stanford was his first choice of school and he was obviously about to pass out with joy that he was accepted. It was a good video to watch!

There have been a lot of kids across the country that had similar success academically. I can remember when I first married and was living IN Houston we had a lot of Vietnamese refugees/immigrants. There were several stories about their kids, having spoken little to no English upon arrival, ended up top of their class a few years later with free rides to colleges of their choice. Now that's the stuff the American Dream is made of!

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM
x2 - Fascinating!

djharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debater

I applied to 13, I think.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” - Brené Brown

Old 04-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

I applied to one, and got in (major university).

After a couple years I transferred to another campus.

I was poor enough to combine a scholarship with loans and grants and work study to live on/off campus. But there were some basically homeless periods.

Good times.

This nation needs to take educating its population more seriously.

I read a news story recently about the large proportion of college and university students who have food insecurity. Deplorable.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
I applied to one, and got in (major university).

After a couple years I transferred to another campus.

I was poor enough to combine a scholarship with loans and grants and work study to live on/off campus. But there were some basically homeless periods.

Good times.

This nation needs to take educating its population more seriously.

I read a news story recently about the large proportion of college and university students who have food insecurity. Deplorable.
Excellent.

I too remember periods of "food insecurity," especially in graduate school. It was the major reason I took jobs in restaurants: They were always available, and I could eat without waiting two weeks for a paycheck.

Meanwhile, I'm not at all convinced solving "insecurities" will create more motivated or more accomplished students.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:56 AM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
Excellent.

I too remember periods of "food insecurity," especially in graduate school. It was the major reason I took jobs in restaurants: They were always available, and I could eat without waiting two weeks for a paycheck.

Meanwhile, I'm not at all convinced solving "insecurities" will create more motivated or more accomplished students.
Perhaps you just enjoy seeing people of lesser means get more stressed out?

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Excellent.

Sounds like you used your head to turn a negative into a positive. A good trait for success - beyond expecting someone else to provide for you, I mean.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
Perhaps you just enjoy seeing people of lesser means get more stressed out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Sounds like you used your head to turn a negative into a positive. A good trait for success - beyond expecting someone else to provide for you, I mean.
I don't give myself any special credit, outside of the general idea I've observed that people in general do best when facing challenges, and we set up challenges all the time in just about every activity we face.

One more push-up than yesterday. Improve that bottom line year over year.

Necessity is the mother of invention is an expression of the same understanding. So are those infamous New Years Resolutions.

A lack of challenge leads to rot. I don't think it's an accident that the same English word applies to food become inedible and children overindulged: spoiled. Or spoiled rotten just for good measure.

A constant puzzle facing parenthood, and society in general, is to allow people to face obstacles, accept responsibility and earn credit and confidence. It has nothing to do with enjoying other people get stressed. We prod our children to work and save for something they want, for example, for the same reason we let butterflies work their own way out of the cocoon. It's as necessary for healthy growth as any nutrient.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I don't give myself any special credit, outside of the general idea I've observed that people in general do best when facing challenges, and we set up challenges all the time in just about every activity we face.

One more push-up than yesterday. Improve that bottom line year over year.

Necessity is the mother of invention is an expression of the same understanding. So are those infamous New Years Resolutions.

A lack of challenge leads to rot. I don't think it's an accident that the same English word applies to food become inedible and children overindulged: spoiled. Or spoiled rotten just for good measure.

A constant puzzle facing parenthood, and society in general, is to allow people to face obstacles, accept responsibility and earn credit and confidence. It has nothing to do with enjoying other people get stressed. We prod our children to work and save for something they want, for example, for the same reason we let butterflies work their own way out of the cocoon. It's as necessary for healthy growth as any nutrient.
100% correct.