Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Health, Science, Education, and Gender Issues

Share |

Old 05-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapeze Swinger View Post
This has got to be an example of one of the best mock outrage threads I've seen on this board...
Oh it's a mockery sure enough. But outrage isn't in play by most. Excuses, false equivalencies to dismiss brutalities, self-important political posturing are in evidence aplenty - but outrage over the OP subject matter? Not so much - mock or otherwise.

"Since when did Democrats become so judgmental and intolerant?" C. Paglia

When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no ones really for America. S. Barclay

"Im remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
And where in your education did you fail to learn that a word may have many meanings, including contradictory meanings?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/op...inchester.html

However, specifically related to the verb ask - there are at least 7 different meanings - one of which is to demand or expect something
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ry/english/ask

If you're going (there's another word with multiple meanings -go) to attempt to correct or school someone else it really helps if you know what the hell you're talking about. Otherwise, the only person whose ignorance is revealed is yours.
I never would have imagined that I'd have to explain to an adult what "ask" meant when the Austrian president used it in a sentence (albeit in German translated into English).

But you know, I don't give a fuck how many alternate meanings of "ask" you were able to dredge up. The simple reality, no matter how much you are trying to weasel out of it, is that to ask someone to do something is not to demand that they do it.

When Austria passes a law requiring all women to wear a hijab, let us know. Maybe you can strap one onto the horse you rode in on.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Conservatism is the opioid of the greedy." - PBTime

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 05-06-2017, 04:54 PM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTime View Post
I never would have imagined that I'd have to explain to an adult what "ask" meant when the Austrian president used it in a sentence (albeit in German translated into English).

But you know, I don't give a fuck how many alternate meanings of "ask" you were able to dredge up. The simple reality, no matter how much you are trying to weasel out of it, is that to ask someone to do something is not to demand that they do it.

When Austria passes a law requiring all women to wear a hijab, let us know. Maybe you can strap one onto the horse you rode in on.
*LOL* Well now, since what the Austrian president said was NOT said in English, you have no way of knowing if it was translated properly do you? You have no way of knowing if the verb ask translates exactly into English do you?

Once again - you're wrong. In your piss-proud state you tried to correct Coro and failed miserably. You only emphasized your own inadequacies rather than his. And still - you can't admit you're wrong much less apologize for misjudging someone. Yep - piss-proud you are.

When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no ones really for America. S. Barclay

"Im remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Old 05-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Stable Genius

PBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debaterPBTime Master debater

Quote:
*LOL* Well now, since what the Austrian president said was NOT said in English, you have no way of knowing if it was translated properly do you? You have no way of knowing if the verb ask translates exactly into English do you?

Once again - you're wrong. In your piss-proud state you tried to correct Coro and failed miserably. You only emphasized your own inadequacies rather than his. And still - you can't admit you're wrong much less apologize for misjudging someone. Yep - piss-proud you are.
Well, if I don't know exactly in German what the Austrian president said, that sure as hell means that Corodon doesn't know either. And since Corodon is the one who first jumped to the conclusion that "ask" means "demand", it's up to Corodon to prove exactly that the Austrian president meant, not me. But Corodon hasn't lifted a finger to provide such proof, all he has is your big fat nose poking in like it knows something about anything. So I guess both you and Corodon can put on your dunce hats and go sit in opposite corners of the romper room.

"Camille Paglia calling herself a feminist is sort of like a Nazi saying they're not anti-Semitic." - Gloria Steinem

"Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)

"Blessed are the shithole countries, for they gave us the American dream." - Bono

Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Well, if I don't know exactly in German what the Austrian president said, that sure as hell means that Corodon doesn't know either. And since Corodon is the one who first jumped to the conclusion that "ask" means "demand", it's up to Corodon to prove exactly that the Austrian president meant, not me. But Corodon hasn't lifted a finger to provide such proof, all he has is your big fat nose poking in like it knows something about anything. So I guess both you and Corodon can put on your dunce hats and go sit in opposite corners of the romper room.
Well hell, PBT, you're wrong again! Doesn't that become irksome? Corodon didn't say ask meant demand.

BTW, my nose ain't fat - my ass - sure by some standards, even if it ain't a shelf.

Last edited by Trish; 05-08-2017 at 07:27 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Stable Genius

Quote:
Well hell, PBT, you're wrong again! Doesn't that become irksome? Corodon didn't say ask meant demand.

BTW, my nose ain't fat - my ass - sure by some standards, even if it ain't a shelf.
And for the umpteenth time Trish misses the point.

And that point it's for Corodon to prove that the Austrian president meant something terribly ominous and freedom-threatening by the word "ask". Or, to quote Corodon exactly, "to suggest more than the happy voluntary solidarity day...". As usual, Corodon reverts to snide insinuation rather than coming right out and saying what he means. But to an intelligent adult, his meaning is clear: he objects to the idea that he presupposed the Austrian leader is proposing: that eventually all Austrian women must be required to wear a hijab in solidarity with persecuted Muslim women.

Perhaps if Trish spent less time picking nits and more time trying to understand simple concepts we'd have a much more enjoyable time here.

Oh, and on a re-read I see that Corodon is lamenting that the Austrian president is "full of contradictions". Again, I submit this is more a matter of not understanding the original German, in which hairs can be split exceedingly finely, and reading waaaay too much into a translation into a much more vague language like English, presumably for no better purpose but to mock it. Or at least as something the Corodon might wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking it is lurking under his bunk.

Last edited by PBTime; 05-08-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
And for the umpteenth time Trish misses the point.

And that point it's for Corodon to prove that the Austrian president meant something terribly ominous and freedom-threatening by the word "ask". Or, to quote Corodon exactly, "to suggest more than the happy voluntary solidarity day...". As usual, Corodon reverts to snide insinuation rather than coming right out and saying what he means. But to an intelligent adult, his meaning is clear: he objects to the idea that he presupposed the Austrian leader is proposing: that eventually all Austrian women must be required to wear a hijab in solidarity with persecuted Muslim women.

Perhaps if Trish spent less time picking nits and more time trying to understand simple concepts we'd have a much more enjoyable time here.

Oh, and on a re-read I see that Corodon is lamenting that the Austrian president is "full of contradictions". Again, I submit this is more a matter of not understanding the original German, in which hairs can be split exceedingly finely, and reading waaaay too much into a translation into a much more vague language like English, presumably for no better purpose but to mock it. Or at least as something the Corodon might wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking it is lurking under his bunk.

Still don't have the balls to admit you're wrong, huh? I'm not in the least surprised. As for what intelligent adults understand, it varies - as you should know - you get so much wrong. And once again you're wrong about Corodon. He was quite upfront with his admission that he might not have understood nuances particular to German speech.

Corodon is a level-headed poster. He conducts himself with a great deal of integrity even when set upon by a ravening pack.

I consider it my duty to the forum to make sure you don't enjoy your time here at the expense of truth, civility and decency. I'll pick those nits. It wouldn't do to let you go about all lousy.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:56 AM
Stable Genius

Quote:
Still don't have the balls to admit you're wrong, huh? I'm not in the least surprised. As for what intelligent adults understand, it varies - as you should know - you get so much wrong. And once again you're wrong about Corodon. He was quite upfront with his admission that he might not have understood nuances particular to German speech.

Corodon is a level-headed poster. He conducts himself with a great deal of integrity even when set upon by a ravening pack.

I consider it my duty to the forum to make sure you don't enjoy your time here at the expense of truth, civility and decency. I'll pick those nits. It wouldn't do to let you go about all lousy.
So at last we have Trish's true agenda:

Harassment of fellow posters.

She's going back on IGNORE now.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
So at last we have Trish's true agenda:

Harassment of fellow posters.

She's going back on IGNORE now.
And once again you're selective reading skills lead you astray. You left out the most important part of that sentence. Here, let me repeat it:

Quote:
If your posts are truthful, civil and devoid of nastiness, you won't hear a peep from me.