Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Health, Science, Education, and Gender Issues

Share |

Old 08-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Gummy Satans!

Seraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djharkavy View Post
Instead of strict price controls, how about we require that U.S. citizens get meds at the same price as citizens of other countries (with an exemption for charitable cases.)

The drug company can set whatever piece they want, so long as they charge the same in other countries.

Or how about just lifting the restriction in Medicare Part D that prohibits Medicare from negotiating drug prices like Medicaid and private insurance companies do. That's a 53 million client negotiating block that would have real teeth.
There is no such thing as a bad conservative. "Conservative" is a magic word that applies to those who are in other conservatives' good graces. Until they aren't. At which point they are liberals. Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed by weak-minded souls who refuse to properly follow its tenets. It's a lot like communism that way.

~ Digby

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 PM
RelativisticDeawkwardizer

Tom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debaterTom Servo Master debater
Send a message via AIM to Tom Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djharkavy View Post
Instead of strict price controls, how about we require that U.S. citizens get meds at the same price as citizens of other countries (with an exemption for charitable cases.)

The drug company can set whatever piece they want, so long as they charge the same in other countries.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
All mistakes are caused by the phone.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
I think we'd see a mass exodus of globally cheaper drugs from the market as the multinationals circle the wagons around their most profitable products.

Or we'd start getting drug variants that are just unique enough from global alternatives so there could be no equivalent to price match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Or how about just lifting the restriction in Medicare Part D that prohibits Medicare from negotiating drug prices like Medicaid and private insurance companies do. That's a 53 million client negotiating block that would have real teeth.
I think it's worth a shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk