Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Current Events and General Discussion

Share |

Old 07-02-2018, 12:28 PM
TRUE Conservative

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corodon View Post
I don't argue science. I'm not a world renowned climatologist, and I don't play one on the Internet.

But politics is an amateur sport.
So that’s the last time I’ll hear you whining about “global cooling”?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2018, 02:11 PM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapeze Swinger View Post
So that’s the last time I’ll hear you whining about “global cooling”?
Never. I sip discreetly. Malbec at the moment.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Gummy Satans!

Seraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debaterSeraph Master debater

Quote:
Never. I sip discreetly. Malbec at the moment.
So, you admit it's ideology over science in your case?
There is no such thing as a bad conservative. "Conservative" is a magic word that applies to those who are in other conservatives' good graces. Until they aren't. At which point they are liberals. Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed by weak-minded souls who refuse to properly follow its tenets. It's a lot like communism that way.

~ Digby

Old 07-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Canadians are so badass!

Blueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
If the politically correct frenzy has abated, maybe now serious work can b3 done. Without all the hype and hysteria researchers should feel less pressure. I do believe that's a good thing.
Well then, I hope the same strategy can be used to solve the immigration problem.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:38 AM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
So, you admit it's ideology over science in your case?
Apart from instances of ideology actually infecting "science," as in falsification of data, or mendacious interpretations of data promulgated as disinterested, yes.

Science weaves its own course. Ideology is the foundation of policy, and that is the arena of political debate.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:53 AM
x2 - Fascinating!

djharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debaterdjharkavy Master debater

Quote:
Apart from instances of ideology actually infecting "science," as in falsification of data, or mendacious interpretations of data promulgated as disinterested, yes.

Science weaves its own course. Ideology is the foundation of policy, and that is the arena of political debate.
Your first paragraph belies the second. Your ideology causes you to not only disbelieve the science, but pass along inaccurate statements about it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” - Brené Brown

Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Canadians are so badass!

Blueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debaterBlueneck Master debater

Quote:
An essay by Steven Hayward of the demise of the political movement.
That certainly seems true. Maybe Trump scotching the Paris agreement was the coup de grâce.
Hayward refers to an analytical essay almost fifty years old. At 13 pages in PDF, the Anthony Downs essay goes into much more than the 5-step description Hayward refers to, of course. Downs' final paragraph, though, is prescient:
Hayward continues:
It's this third stage where the issue becomes "politicized" in the onerous sense of the word, since achieving the apparent solution, either literally paying for it, or changing to allow it, requires transforming society, or at minimum "reordering our economic priorities." In my lifetime this has always meant subscribing to some authoritarian model.
Mr. Hayward concludes:
When a problem becomes the vehicle of a leftist political agenda, its passing is inevitable. It's only a question of how much damage will be done along the way.
What if it becomes the vehicle of a right wing agenda? Do you have proof fossil fuel companies aren't financing the occasional "it doesn't exist" epiphanies that are spammed by the right all over the internet from time to time?

What about cancer research? Some people say the pharmaceutical companies are determined to treat it as opposed to wiping it out because they want to make money.

And it seems to me there's plenty of money to be made on not doing anything about it from an economic standpoint, such as my electric bill is going to be huge this summer because it's been hotter than usual and started earlier than usual.

Then there's disaster capitalism.

There's money to be made either way. The problem is, if the "alarmists" are wrong, all you've done is pushed cleaner renewable energy to the forefront. If the deniers are wrong, the damage done is astronomical.'
'
Seems to me if you look at it from a risk vs. reward standpoint, policies that result in lessening our dependence on fossil fuels are by far the least intrusive as opposed to ignoring it.