Democracy Forums  
About Us Enab.Stats Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Democracy Forums > Debate > Current Events and General Discussion

Share |

Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 AM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater
Default Feds sued for grabbing US citizen's life savings after airport strip-search

On another thread debate has been about what the CBP can and cannot do legally and where they can do it. In this story, there appears no doubt as to the legal authority in play.

Quote:
A U.S. citizen for more than a decade, Rustem Kazazi was flying back to Europe to help his Albanian family repair their home and maybe even to buy a little beach house somewhere along the Adriatic Sea. He placed $58,100 into three clearly marked envelopes, then packed the money away in his carry-on luggage.
It was 13 years of his life savings – and the federal government took every penny...
That was in October. Kazazi still hasn’t been convicted (or charged) of any crime, and CBP didn’t offer any explanation for a month. But thanks to a law enforcement procedure called civil asset forfeiture, CBP also hasn’t given Kazazi his savings back. The federal government then came up with an explanation: they suspected he was “involved in a smuggling/drug trafficking/money laundering operation.”
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...ip-search.html

So, technically, everything that was done was legal, including the seizure of the money. My question is - should it be legal? Should he have been held so long without benefit of his clothing? Should he have been held without benefit of a translator since English was not his native tongue? Should the CBP still have his money when he has not been charged or convicted of a crime?

"Since when did Democrats become so judgmental and intolerant?" C. Paglia

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 AM
TRUE Conservative

Trapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debaterTrapeze Swinger Master debater

Another civil asset forfeiture case...

Please note that this was at a "port of entry" rather than a checkpoint, or simply walking up to someone in a public place. Some people have trouble distinguishing them.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:12 PM

Trish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debaterTrish Master debater

Everything done was perfectly legal. I do think the law needs to change especially on the asset forfeiture area. If one is charged and convicted if a crime from which the assets were derived, fine, seize away. Otherwise keep your Greasy paws off!

"Since when did Democrats become so judgmental and intolerant?" C. Paglia

“When I look at the political situation now, all I really see is that the Democrats are against the Republicans, the Republicans are against the Democrats, and no one’s really for America.” S. Barclay

"I’m remaining a registered Democrat because I still hope for the reform of my party" C. Paglia

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Old 06-05-2018, 02:57 AM
I coulda been somebody!

Corodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debaterCorodon Master debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Everything done was perfectly legal. I do think the law needs to change especially on the asset forfeiture area. If one is charged and convicted if a crime from which the assets were derived, fine, seize away. Otherwise keep your Greasy paws off!
I agree. It's a case of, if you give the government the authority to do something, they will do it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." — Ronald Reagan.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.